Bay Area Parkour

Train Hard - Stay Humble

Just an idea, I was thinking that we could change the motto of BAPK to "The hard work of steady progression." I think that when people see "slow," they think that it will take a ton of time for the to make any progress. Also, I think our goal is to not necessarily progress slowly, but steadily.

Alright, I know it's not really my business, but just an idea.

Tell me what you think.

Thanks.

Views: 77

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I like the idea of steadiness but at the same time, sometimes progression will take a lot of time and in my opinion the only way to keep muscle memory in tact is to steadily learn and practice everything slowly.

on the other hand, "remember, the tortoise won the race!" : D hah imagine that being a motto
First, it is really your business because BAPK is a participation-driven, consensus-based community.

Second, I think I agree with you. "Slow" is a relative thing and I think we're less concerned with speed than we are with the work. Personally, I like the "Train hard, stay humble." more as a motto, but if we're using the other one, I think the suggestion is a valid one, though maybe even another word would be more accurate. I'm too scattered to come up with others now, but we should think about it.
hmmm... interesting... I can see both points, and I like to comment, even if agreeing that I prefer the "train hard - stay humble" slogan also...

Some time ago, an English "mate' by the name of Blane (aka EscApe Artist), wrote a very inspired article, I believe for parkour.net, but which was then published on PKNA, titled Dilution; there, after quoting Stephane Vigroux saying: "everybody's moving... but too quickly, too fast, too easy, too much show... too much", he states: "to me, Parkour is a long and worthwhile campaign - not one short, epic battle".
And I would add a lifelong campaign, one that its about the journey, not the destination.

He particularly concludes recommending: "if you care for the future of Parkour then it is your duty to help them to progress sensibly and remind them that they should slow down when you think they are going too fast".

Now, in all truth, he also mentions "steady progress", which is -of course- welcome and desirable.
But I tend to believe that "slow" as opposite of "too fast" is the key...

After all, most disciplines, arts ans sports see phases of plateauing... which interrupt the "steadiness" of the progression...

Hence, I conclude that -as less as an appealing phrase- "slow progression" indicates what we should be after: a progressive growth -steady or not- at a non-rushed pace.

Because the risks of going too fast, too soon (maybe in order to quickly overcome a natural plateau phase, for the purpose of remaining in a "steady" progression...), far exceed a safe and sure, continuous, slow paced progression.
=)
i agree with ya G but with less big words... you do know that some of us are mexican right *cough me cough*... lol... jk...

i like what your saying though. trying to learn things too fast can cause major injuries... just make sure everyone remembers mr toothless bonez... i tried to learn way to quick and look what happend to me...
...naaa! That's not true (is it?)... I think what happened is somebody may have tried to teach you a lesson, and probably he's still regretting it... LOL!
=P
actually that is what happend... i tried to kong a huge cement wall and slipped... it was all my fault... i should have listend to Aero and started small... i have afterward tho...
Actually, I'm in favor of the "Train hard, stay humble." That doesn't set any expectation for improvement, and it cannot be interpreted as "we work hard, but don't make much progress."

I don't think that we aim to progress slowly, I think we aim to progress steadily, but not expect to always see rapid improvement.

Just my thoughts
This is an interesting topic with much thought. I love what Stephane said, I read Chris Blane's article- i thought it was astonishing.... He basically told me what BAPK is about.... ITs strange in a way... but.

So i dont think we should change the title- i would just let it live, thrive, and overcome obstacles slowly :)
wow very nicely written in that article
I really like "Train hard, stay humble" seems like a golden motto
i agree
I like the simplicity of it.

RSS

Why Donate?

Latest Activity

Johnson Flava is now a member of Bay Area Parkour
May 9, 2023
Sankar Sundarapandian is now a member of Bay Area Parkour
Mar 10, 2023
Peace is now a member of Bay Area Parkour
Feb 2, 2023
Avik Jain is now a member of Bay Area Parkour
Apr 19, 2022
ANDREA BOZZI is now a member of Bay Area Parkour
Mar 16, 2022
Drax is now a member of Bay Area Parkour
Jan 15, 2022
María Belén Giraudo Velez is now a member of Bay Area Parkour
Oct 13, 2021
Stephanie Ann Foster is now a member of Bay Area Parkour
Sep 30, 2021
Leomar Zunguka Walker posted a status
"Summer parkour jam https://fb.me/e/4xLSvV4Bd"
Jun 23, 2021
Leomar Zunguka Walker posted a photo
Jun 23, 2021
Bennett Parry is now a member of Bay Area Parkour
May 21, 2021
S Abud is now a member of Bay Area Parkour
Feb 20, 2021
rift33 posted a status
"I just wanted to stop in and say hi I'm sure there still is some people on here that will remember me from back in the days."
Dec 16, 2020
Michael Matey commented on Parapsycho's group East Bay Traceurs
Nov 13, 2020
Michael Matey joined Parapsycho's group
Nov 13, 2020
Michael Matey is now a member of Bay Area Parkour
Nov 13, 2020

Badge

Loading…

© 2024   Created by SafeNSure.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service